We are currently recruiting for a Surface Mount Technology (SMT) Engineer to help us deliver world class quality (IPC-610A Class 3) printed circuit boards, which are used in life critical electronic equipment, to our all-important customers’ on-time and in full.
Main Purpose of Role:
Our manufacturing facility, based in Whitley, delivers products to all UK customers as well as worldwide. As our SMT Engineer you will develop, manage, and continuously improve our surface mount technology and methods used to help us deliver our life saving and life changing products.
The Ideal candidate:
To be successful in this role you will have proven experience of running surface mount lines, understand the electronics manufacturing process and have supervised other colleagues in an electronics manufacturing environment. You will be a good communicator, with a proactive, ‘can-do’ attitude, always looking to improve processes and systems.
This role may require you to work shifts on occasion.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary,
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays,
- Ability to buy holidays,
- Contributory pension,
- Car benefit scheme,
- Volunteer day to support a cause you are passionate about,
- Dedicated 24/7 employee benefits platform ‘Verlingue’ that include things like: free eye tests, retail discounts,
- A subsidised on-site canteen,
- EAP WeCare service - including a 24/7 online GP and mental health counselling service,
- Boost your learning and growth through access to a Talent Library with over 800 courses,
- Free car parking,
- A warm and welcoming team environment and a chance to build a rewarding career.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for the development, management, and efficient running of Euro Placer Surface Mount Machines,
- Develop and maintain Automated Optical Inspection (AOI) equipment and programmes to achieve optimum efficiency,
- Optimise setup time and programs to improve overall equipment efficiency,
- Manage Assembly Operatives in the Surface Mount Assembly area to deliver production plan in full and on time,
- Ensure appropriately skilled colleagues are in place to deal with current and future demand,
- Make sure efficiency targets are met and any deviations are understood and acted upon,
- Ensure adequate stock control processes are in place and take corrective actions where required,
- Continuously improve processes to optimise efficiency, increase capacity, and reduce waste,
- Make sure all required procedures within SMT manufacturing area are followed,
- Be involved in new product development, making sure designs are suitable for current equipment, identify any new equipment required, and highlight any issues during builds,
- Ensure all maintenance schedules are followed and adhered too,
- Effectively manage machine/equipment breakdowns with the maintenance team,
- Monitor and take corrective actions to reduce SMT generated ICT/BFT/FFT failures,
- Log and analyse breakdowns and implement corrective processes/procedures,
- Report on operating equipment efficiencies, runtime efficiencies, and scrappage,
- Ensure 5S methodology is adhered to,
- Follow all Health and Safety (H&S) guidelines and take responsibility for H&S within Autos area.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Technical experience of running surface mount lines,
- Sound knowledge of SMT component types, packages, and sizes,
- Understanding of electronics manufacturing processes,
- Experience in programming and running of Euro placer XPII and Iineo SMT line,
- Ability to load programs for SMT feeders,
- Ability to operate DEK Stencil with experience of solder pasting various board types,
- Ability to work from assembly drawings, build packs, and complete production documentation whilst following standard procedures,
- Experience of supervision in an electronics manufacturing environment,
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written,
- Demonstrable evidence of following key Health & Safety guidelines: Housekeeping, Fire Regulations, Machine Guarding, COSHH, & Manual Handling,
- Knowledge of continuous improvement techniques,
- A degree level qualification or equivalent experience.
- Any general management experience, e.g. interviewing, motivation, employee relations management, would be desirable.
If you are not sure if you have the relevant skills or experience, then please apply (only takes a few minutes) and let our team review and come back to you.
A bit about us:
Tunstall is a market-leading health and care technology provider.
We’re passionate about ensuring our team reflects the brilliant and unique qualities of the people and communities we support. Our incredible team of 3,000+ people provide lifesaving and life changing technology and services to millions of customers across 18 different countries.
At Tunstall you’ll find a place where you’re valued and celebrated for being yourself. We empower our people to deliver the very best teamwork, innovation and thought leadership by creating an environment where we champion diversity and inclusion. We demonstrate our commitment to diversity and inclusion at each step. From our open, fair, and transparent recruitment processes, through to the many development and career growth opportunities we provide.
Each Tunstall colleague has a superpower… they’re unique. No one else is them, and we think that’s special. Come and join our mission and be part of our team, our One Tunstall team.